Park City

We just got back from Park City.  Spring skiing is great and we even got 5 inches of fresh powder on thursday.  I did some research before we left and found some new places but this is what happened.

Arrived on Sunday and went shopping at Whole Foods in New Park.  As with most Whole Foods they had a good selection but this one had more than my local Whole Foods.  Tons of Udi's and Rudi's breads and muffins.  Their back wall had a ton of GF crackers, cookies, flour and baking supplies.

We found a new one, Andean Dream.  These cookies are GF and low in sugar and come individually wrapped.  Good for lunches or for you pockets while you are skiing.



We ate lunch at Loco Lizards in New Park.  They claim to be 100% GF except for their flour tortillas.  Except their fryer is used for kids chicken tender and french fries.  They have a separate corn fryer.  I had the Chile Verde, it had a nice kick and tasted fresh with nice pieces of pork.

Another place we found in New Park was Park City Pizza.  What I found out was that the owner has celiac.  They keep the GF pizza dough in the walk-in and prepare it there too.  It goes into the same over as the non-GF pizza but it is placed on a pan.  They also serve GF garlic bread on Udi's bread.  Each GF item comes with a nice sticker "Yipee, I'm Gluten Free."  They seemed knowledgeable and pizza was tasty and delicious.


What about Park City Mountain Resort.  If you saw my previous blog post I had called and emailed ahead of time and they seemed to have a good take on GF. Kristi's Cafe has GF cookies (pre-packaged) and fresh muffins (in the case) from New Grains GF Bakery in Provo, UT.  My daughter fell in love with the chocolate cookie brownie (it became a daily post-skiing treat).


When it came to eating we had lunch one day at Legend's.  I am not sure where they get their salsa but it is not GF (seems like it would be easy to find a new vendor).  They offer their nachos as GF but you can't have the salsa.  I had the shrimp salad but I avoided the corn which is roasted on the grill where they also toast buns.  You don't have a lot of options but there are a few.  As for the cafeteria and mountain lodges - they have GF pizza crusts but my daughter thought is was disgusting.  I wound up making her a PB&J every day instead.  They also offer GF pasta but we didn't try it.



For dinner one night we went to 350 Main.  It is usually packed in winter so it was a bit strange seeing it empty but the food was delicious.  They have a GF menu and GF certification and they seemed very on top of things.  Unfortunately for my daughter they do not have a GF fryer, so no french fries.  She has steak.  I had the Potage de Sante immunity soup and it was delicious - hearty, tasty and fresh.  For dinner I had the Grilled Trout.  It was out of this world.  It was cooked to perfection and plated over a salsa verde along with a spicy yam mash.  It came out with a crisp plantain - which I questioned.  They were sure it was okay but double checked with the chef and it was baked not fried.

Another option to try is Hapa.  It is in New Park too.  My wife talked to one of the sushi chefs named Adam.  His wife has celiac disease so he is well aware of cross contamination.  I can't speak for other nights but he was happy to prepare my fish and clean the counter and his hands and knife first.  They also have GF soy sauce.  Being from San Diego the fish was just okay but for a quick bite it hit the spot.

We made one last stop for lunch on the way to the airport.  Ruby River Steakhouse was the place and they offer a GF menu on their website.  We talked to the manager who was super helpful and told us that they just had a GF education series to educate the staff and they created a GF menu.  Their BBQ sauce is homemade, GF and delicious with just the right amount of 'tang. I had the smokey mountain chicken and a baked potato.  It was good but the portion was small.  I could have eaten 4 or 5 of the chicken medallions that I got.  My daughter had the kids portion ribs and she loved 'em.

We cooked at home a few nights too, made some pizza, grilled some steaks and chicken.  All in all, a great trip and we are home.  Hope this helps if you are heading to Park City.

The Un-Gluten Guy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Mike's Pizza

Ghostfish Gluten Free Beer

San Diego Safari Park