Gluten Free Ratatouille Recipe

Ratatouille - you may know the Disney film by the same name.  Possibly you have seen a recipe for it in a book such as Julia Childs' cookbook.  It can be made as a side dish or eaten as a meal.  It can be served in layers or all tossed together.


I had actually never made ratatouille and actually I do not think I had ever eaten ratatouille until recently.  My little guy, after watching the movie, decided he wanted Ratatouille and it had to be in a circle just like the movie.  Well, as Gusto says in the movie - "Anyone can cook!"


So I read through a bunch of recipes to get an idea for what I was going to make and this is what I put together.  Not only was it good - but the kids ate it up.

Ingredient list:
roma tomatoes
tomatos
zuchinni
yellow squash
bell peppers (I used red)
onion
garlic
salt & pepper
EVOO (extra virgin olive oil - if you weren't sure)
optional - bay leaf, herb de provance

Notice I did not specify how much.  If you were making it for 2 I would use one of everything and you may need 3 roma tomatos.  Make more instead and use if for leftover lunch and dinner the next day.

Time to cook:

Heat a pan, add some EVOO and add some diced onion, finely chopped garlic and saute until soft.
Next, add some diced tomatoes (I used heirloom becuase we had a bunch in the house) diced red pepper.
Salt and pepper to taste, add a bay leaf and other aromatics (herb de provance or thyme and/or oregano (I used oregano and thyme)) and simmer over low until it forms a nice thick sauce like consistency.

While it simmers slice the zucchini, yellow squash and roma tomatoes so you have three bowls of similar sized circles.

My little guy wanted a circle so I plated the tomato sauce and the spread it out over a pizza pan.  Next I created a circle.  Starting from the middle I rotated out, alternating the tomatoes, zucchinis and squash.

I brushed a little olive oil over top and sprinkled some salt and pepper.

Cooked in the oven about 40 minutes (until the vegetables started to brown) at 375.

We had ours with a side of rice and salmon.

Enjoy,

The Un-Gluten Guy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Mike's Pizza

Ghostfish Gluten Free Beer

San Diego Safari Park