This is a dish I have not made in a while. It is actually quite easy once you do the shopping. It does require a few steps but it is not complicated. I usually prepare it over a flat, crispy potato pancake, but you could easily serve it with rice or eat it on its own.
1 Green Pepper
1 Red Pepper
1 Orange Pepper
1 Can whole tomatoes
1 lb white fish that is a thick filet (I like halibut or monkfish)
rice flour (optional)
To make the base:
1. Slice the peppers and onions into thin slices
2. Strain the liquid from the tomatoes (reserve for later) and cut the tomatoes into quaters
3. Add about a 1/2 TBSP coconut oil to a pan over medium heat and add the peppers & onions. Saute until they just start to soften.
4. Add the tomatoes and simmer over low heat.
5. Taste and season with salt and pepper to taste.
To make the fish:
1. Optional, but I season some rice flour with salt, pepper and paprika and set aside.
2. Wash and dry the fish. Slice into cubes about 1/2 on each side.
3. Dredge the cubes in the rice flour mixture.
4. Heat some coconut oil in a pan. Get it nice and hot.
5. Sear each side of the fish squares then place them over top of the tomato-pepper mixture. Cover and allow the steam to finish cooking the fish through. It will only take a few minutes.
For the bottom:
1. If you are in a rush make some rice in a rice cooker.
2. Otherwise shred two large potatoes and 1/2 onion.
3. Drain off the excess liquid. This is best done by placing the mixture in a dish towel and wringing it out.
4. Mix in one egg, salt and pepper.
5. Get a pan hot with oil (peanut or grapeseed - something that won't burn).
6. Flatten our a plate size potato pancake and gently place in the hot oil. Cook each side. You can make smaller pancakes or flatten it with a spatula once it hits the oil.
7. Remove from oil and let it drain on paper towels to absorb excess oil.
To prepare for serving:
1. Plate the potato pancake or rice.
2. Spoon the pepper and tomato mixture on top.
3. Top it all with your fish.
Sit back and enjoy your meal,
The Un-Gluten Guy