Gluten Free Bisquick

I try to test out most new things because you never know what you might find.  Although home cookin from scratch is great, sometimes you do not always have the time.

This past weekend (right before I got the flu that everyone across the US had) I was making my GF Buttermilk fried chicken.  That is a story for a different day.  What goes best with fried chicken? Biscuits.

I remembered that we saw a box of GF Bisquick at the store a few weeks ago and it was living in our cabinet.  It is made by Betty Crocker in a Gluten Free Facility and contains: Rice Flour, Sugar, baking soda and powder, potato starch, salt and xanthan gum.  They state that it may contain soy ingredients.


They have recipes for pancakes, waffles, biscuits, pizza crust and more on the box.

We made a batch of biscuits which included the Bisquick mix, shortening, milk and eggs.  It looks crumbly and lumpy and then softened.  Into the oven they went.  Browned up nicely.

How did it taste?  Not bad, good, but not great.  A bit dry and grainy but biscuits are meant to taste dry, the graininess I attribute to the rice flour.  I was never a Bisquick person so I can't really say how close or different it is from their regular Bisquick.  We made some honey butter and it made for a good tasting biscuit.  I'm sure with some gravy it would be delicious.



But what else could we do?  We grated some cheddar cheese and folded it into the batter.  Ahh, cheddar cheese biscuits - these were better.

Sky's the limit.  I was thinking next time adding some chives and jalapeno to the cheddar and that should make for a good biscuit.

All and all, not a bad thing to keep around the pantry for baking a quick biscuit or strawberry shortcake.

The Un-Gluten Guy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Mike's Pizza

Sake

San Diego Safari Park