Mono Hot Springs

A friend of mine kept telling me about a place he has visited since he was a kid.  He told me of how much fun it was and it is in the middle of no where.  They have fishing, natural hot springs, swimming and hiking.  So we planned a trip for this year after the kids got out of school.

The place is called Mono Hot Springs.  It is located in the Sierra Nevada Mountains between Yosemite and Sequoia National Park.  The last hour of the eight hour drive from San Diego is on a single lane somewhat paved road.  A car or truck with clearance is recommended and if you drive to some of the far out placed a 4 wheel drive vehicle is needed, but you could get to the campground in any car.

You can stay at a campsite or one of their cabins.  We choose a cabin.  They have one or two bedroom and with or without a kitchen.  Our cabin had two rooms, one with a full and one with two twins.  The cabin had its own toilet and a kitchen with a four burner stove, a refriderator and a sink.  On site is a bathhouse with showers and a hot spring.


As for the hot springs - they are everywhere.  Old Pedro is the first one you come to.  Above Old Pedro are two more on the hill.  If you walk north you'll run into more hot springs.  We even found Little Eden which is the biggest by far but you'll have to find that one yourself.


We packed our food and prepared a pretty decent menu.  They have a restaurant on site that serves lunch and dinner.  The kids ate lunch there one day and liked the pasta and burgers.

Dinner on Arrival we had fish packets.  I foil wrapped some tilapia with sliced peppers, onions and lemon and seasoned with salt and pepper.  Seal the packet by folding the tin foil and throw on the grill.  We also had some corn on the cob that we cooked on the grill - my son calls it the small version grill.


Breakfast each morning consisted of pancakes (Pamela's pancake mix) or cereal.  We also cooked up some sausage links and toasted Udi's.


Lunch was either hot dog on Udi's buns, cold cuts (Applegate salami, pepparoni and cheese) or leftovers.

Our other dinner options included ribs, yes, ribs.  I pressure cooked them the night before we left.  On the second night I heated them back up on the grill and finished off with our favorite - Bone suckin sauce.  We served more corn and Heinz baked beans.  My kids got a kick out of me heating the beans up in the can. [The Zevia is not mine - it's what I call my wife's crack in a can]


Tuesday night was Taco night.  We served Rudi's tortillas.  I brought up lettuce, tomato and shredded cheese and salsa.  I cooked up the meat and seasoned with Spicely Taco Seasoning.


I had baked a pumpkin pie (yes, I bake too) in Whole Foods GF pie crust before we left and made a batch of my brownies.  And if that wasn't enough for dessert we made smores each night.  I got to kick back with a New Planet by the fire and watch the stars.



The kids had a blast, my wife had fun, and I relaxed and enjoyed the time with the family away from work.  We'll definitely be back in the future.

The Un-Gluten Guy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Mike's Pizza

Ghostfish Gluten Free Beer

San Diego Safari Park