Cohn Restaurants and their Gluten Free Menus

In San Diego the Cohn Family has a ton of restaurants.  They cover a wide area on the map and an even larger diversity of flavors.

We made it to Comic-Con.  We had never had the experience of attending and wanted to go.  After a day of visiting booths, seeing panel discussions and playing video games we were all hungry.

We stopped at Island Prime on Harbor Island on our way home.  We have eaten there before and they have a pretty decent Gluten Free Menu.  As always I questioned some things and the waitress told me some managers were debating that they can just overheat things to kill the gluten.  As far as I know most sources say to clean throughly with soap and water to clean a cooking surface.  Other sites talk about heating things like grills for 30 minutes at 500 - 600 degrees.  I have no scientific evidence to support it but I asked that it be cooked in a clean pan to prevent the risk of cross contamination.

I had the ahi stack.  My dish was served with cucumbers instead of the normal fried taro chips.  It was delicious as always.


For dinner I had the brick chicken.  A nice smokey, spicey rub (gluten free of course).  Served with homemade mashed potatotes and greens.


Both were good but I thought it quite strange that she brought out our appitizers and entrees at the same time.  They were gluten free and I was hungry so I simply devoured it.

You can see other diners reviews on findmeglutenfree.com/island-prime.

We had family in town and went out to dinner with them later in the week.  We visited Indigo Grill, another Cohn Family Restaurant.  They also have a full Gluten Free Menu.  We spoke with one of the managers (I forget his name) and he was very helpful.  I started with their signature soup the Roasted Butternut Squash Soup.



Delicious as always.  It has just the right kick.  Stir in your corn, peppers and cilantro that are on the side and for some people this is a meal.

For my entree I had the Hickory & Apple Smoked Pork Ribs.  This was delicious.  The sauce on the ribs was sticky, sweet and spicy.  I had the chipotle mashed potatoes - spicy and good.  The small salad on the side was a good palate clenser with the sliced pears.

You can see others review on findmeglutenfree.com/indigo.

In town I think you will be happily surprised and satiated at any of the Cohn Restaurants when it comes to gluten free fare.

Enjoy,

The Un-Gluten Guy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Mike's Pizza

Sake

San Diego Safari Park