Turkey Day 2013

This year I choose to do something different.  Every year I'm working, shopping and then come Thanksgiving Day I'm off of work.  And you know what I do - wake up early, cook and cook and cook and cook.  We eat and then spend way too much time cleaning up.  By the time friday rolls around its back to work and I'm tired.

And what is the best part of Thanksgiving?  Leftovers!

So this year I decided to eat leftovers for Thanksgiving.  No cooking, no cleaning.  Just eating, watching football, more eating, playing football, drinking and lots of dessert.

SUNDAY

On Sunday I made the ice creams - cinnamon and mint chocolate chip.

For the Philadelphia Style Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
Mix together 2 cups 2% milk, 2 cups heavy cream, 1 cup sugar, 1 tsp peppermint extract, 1 tsp GF vanilla extract, 1/2 tsp salt.  Place into ice cream maker.  Once it is done stir in 1 cup of mini chips and store in freezer

For the Cinnamon Ice Cream


Mix 1 1/2 Cups of half & half and 1 cup sugar over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.  Whisk 2 eggs in a separate bowl.  Pour half of the half&half plus sugar mixture into the eggs and whisk.  Then pour the egg mixture back into the pot and add 1 cup of heavy cream and stir over low to medium heat until it starts to thicken (it should coat the back of a metal spoon).  Remove from heat and mix in 1 tsp GF vanilla extract and 2 tsp ground cinnamon.  Place in refrigerator to cool then add to ice cream maker.

I also made my brine.  This year I decided to try Fire and Flavor Turkey Brine.  They offer GF brine mixtures along with a brining bag.  I made the brine and placed it into the refrigerator to cool.

MONDAY

Went to work - long day.  Came home and did wine tasting.

TUESDAY

Brined the Turkey.

WEDSNDAY

Cooked the Turkey.  I stuffed it with fresh rosemary, thyme, onions and apples.  Buttered the skin and sprinkled with a blend of salt, paprika, smoked paprika, rosemary, thyme, onion powder and garlic powder.  Let it rest and carved it up.  The kids ate some for dinner.  Placed it in the fridge for tomorrow.



Made the stuffing.  This year I used Whole Foods GF Bakehouse.  I sauteed some pancetta in a pan and removed the crispy pancetta (reserve for later).  Then add butter to the pan and sautee onions and celery ( I also added a carrot this year).  Mix in with your stuffing bread and warm chicken broth and mix with your hands.  You want it moist but not too wet, for 2 bags of stuffing it was almost 2 Cups of broth.  Pour into a well buttered pan and top with the crispy pancetta.  Cover and cook in the over about 45 minutes - remove the foil for the last 10 minutes to crisp the top.

I also made my cranberry sauce.  Add 1/2 Cup water, 1/2 cup OJ (fresh squeezed is best), 1/2 Cup sugar over low heat and dissolve the sugar.  Add a 12 oz package of fresh cranberries.  Simmer until they all pop.  I then mash them up, if you like it very smooth you could blend them in a blender or Vitamix.  I then add a teaspoon of maple syrup.

THURSDAY

I made Corn bread.  I used Bob's Red Mill corn bread mix.  Add eggs and butter - so easy.

For lunch I had a panini.  Used Udi's GF bread with my cranberry sauce, stuffing, turkey and brie.  So good!!



Then we all went to the movies and saw Frozen.

Once the kids started getting hungry it was dinner time.

We reheated the breast and legs in the oven to re-crisp the skin.  Placed the stuffing dish in the oven to heat and re-crisp the top.  The only thing that was made was fresh mashed potatoes.
Sit back and enjoy the food.



Happy Holidays,

The Un-Gluten Guy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Mike's Pizza

Ghostfish Gluten Free Beer

San Diego Safari Park