Gluten Free Tempura Recipe

I never ate a lot of fried foods.  I even passed up deep fried pickles and other strange concoctions at the county fair.  But on occasion I enjoyed tempura if I went out for sushi.  Now it is rare to find a dedicated GF fryer at a restaurant and I have never found one at a sushi place.  So I had this craving for tempura and looked into it.

Well, this is what I came up with and it was pretty damn good.


Sauce.  You need a dipping sauce.

Add 1/4 cup tamari, 1/2 cup water, 2 tablespoons sugar and 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar to a small sauce pan.  Heat to dissolve the sugar.  If you cook it down, it will become more concentrated so adjust to your liking.

For the tempura you'll need rice flour, xanthan gum, salt and cold club soda.

Heat some oil in a bowl.  I used peanut oil heated to 375.

In a bowl mix 2 Cups of rice flour, 1/2 tsp xanthan gum, 1 tsp salt and about 2 cups of cold club soda.  It should be the consistency between paste (remember that from grade school) and Elmer's glue.  Start with about 1 1/2 Cups of the club soda and add a little at a time to get to the right consistency.

Dip your vegetables in the batter and then add to the fryer.  I sliced up some onions, red peppers, broccoli, carrots and sweet potatoes.

After you get a nice brown color, remove and drain well on some paper towels.

Sit back and enjoy with your favorite GF sake or beer,

The Un-Gluten Guy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Mike's Pizza

Ghostfish Gluten Free Beer

San Diego Safari Park