Gluten Free Recipe Knockoffs

There were two really good dishes I have had recently.  Both were good enough that I made them at home.  Both were easy to make at home.

First up roasted beet salad with micro arugula, feta cheese, hazelnut brittle and honey yogurt.  I had this appetizer at Island Prime which is one of the Cohn Restaurants in San Diego.  It is attached to C Level and you can see my blog post about their restaurant for more information.


We ate here after seeing the Grinch at the Old Globe Theater which is a great San Diego tradition if you are in town around the holidays.  The dish was delicious.

At home I roasted some red, yellow and zebra beets.  Arrange them on a plate.  Top with the brittle and micro arugula.  I found the arugula at a local farmer market.  As for the brittle, we did not have hazelnuts so I used pecans.  There are a ton of brittle recipes on the web but make sure you have a candy thermometer.  For the dressing I mixing some greek yogurt with honey until I liked the consistency.

Here it is.  It did not look as nice as their presentation but it tasted delicious.  You could easily substitute candied or even roasted nut instead of the brittle.  If you like beets your tasted buds will thank you.


Dish number 2 was a dish I had at the Harvester Gastropub.  This was a simple soup that fills the soul on a cold, wet day.


This was a hearty broth with roasted squash, escarole, red quinoa and feta cheese.  Cook red quinoa and set aside for later.  At home I made a vegetable broth.  I think it would go well with a mushroom broth but I believe they used some pork stock.  Cube the squash and roast it.  Sauté some shallots in a pot, add the broth then the escarole.  Add the roasted squash and cooked quinoa.  Ladle into a bowl and top with the cheese.

If you can get your hands on a Harvester IPA it goes great with the soup.

Enjoy and thanks to the chefs at Island Prime and Harvester Gastropub for their creations,

The Un-Gluten Guy


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Mike's Pizza

Sake

San Diego Safari Park