Disneyland Gluten Free

We were taking the kids to Disneyland for the day; to do the Halloween thing.  And this is my first time back since my diagnosis.

What am I going to eat?  How many hours are we going to be there?  How much food do I have to bring?  You know the same old same old - worries and concerns.

Well, Disney has done a great job for those of us with Gluten issues.  I searched the web and found many people with good experiences.

First step:  Go to City Hall in Disneyland (it is on the left soon as you enter the park) and ask for their Gluten Free list.  The lady behind the counter knew exactly what I was looking for and handed over the 6 page list which included Disneyland and California Adventure.  It said it was valid until the end of the month so they must keep it up to date.

The list included snack and vending carts that have GF products.  A few examples are the fresh fruit carts, frozen lemonade, cotton candy, popcorn, kettle corn, turkey legs and some ice cream.

It also listed the restaurants and what GF items that they had.  This list included the Tomorrowland Terrace, Redd Rockett's Pizza Port, Rancho Del Zocalo, River Belle Terrace (only 1 item available here - so I would recommend skipping it),  Hungry Bear Restaurant and Plaza Inn.

For your sweet tooth they list the Cone Shop and all ice cream is Dreyers and they state it is all GF except Cookies and Cream and Tollhouse Swirl.

At the Disneyland Grand Hotel you have a few options too.  The Storyteller's Cafe for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner.  We have stayed here before and had Breakfast there every morning and it was good.  I was not GF at that time but they have a decent list on the handout.  The Napa Rose is they higher end restaurant and you can sit in the Lounge and get the full menu.

In California Adventure you have a bunch of choices too.  They list Award Wieners (request a GF bun), Ariel's Grotto (here you are prompted to ask to speak to the manager), Boardwalk Pizza (they list you can request a GF shell), and the Golden Vine Winery - Trattoria.

We have eaten at the Winery - Trattoria and after more that half a day with the kids, nephews, wife and sister a glass of wine was a necessity so we headed over.  The waitress was not surprised by the GF request and she stated that they serve about 20 Celiacs a day.  I had the Caprese Salad and the Garlic & Herb Roasted Chicken.  When the chicken arrived it sure a hell looked like they covered it with breading and stuck it under the broiler.  I questioned the waitress and she agreed that it looks like breading but was only parmesean cheese.  Well, both dishes were good and I had no symptoms following my meal.

As with any place you need to be vigilant and check with the wait staff, manager, kitchen regarding any food you order.  I don't know if the Pizza Port has a separate oven for the GF crust - if not the risk of cross contamination may be high.

I arrived with my own fruit, bars (my favorite are larabars and think thin), nuts and I brought some of my own homemade GF pizza.

You can do it and the folks at Disney seemed to be very helpful.  Grab your friends or family and kids and head on up to see Mickey and the gang.

Enjoy,

The Un-Gluten Guy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Mike's Pizza

Sake

San Diego Safari Park