Pamela's Gluten Free Baking Mix

A friend introduced me to Pamela's a while back.  I am not a believer that any one blend is perfect for everything, but this is good for many recipes.  I have tried many commercial blends and mixed up blends from various cookbook authors.  I have found I use my own blends for very specific recipes but sometimes you want something handy that you can go to quickly.

Her blend contains brown, white and sweet white rice flour, cultured buttermilk, almond meal, tapioca starch, potato starch, baking powder, baking soda, salt and xanthan gum.  So obviously you need to avoid it if you have dairy or nut allergies.

Pamela's baking mix is one that we keep handy in the large size.  We routinely make pancakes and her recipe of her mix plus egg, water and oil is very simple and produces breakfast quickly.  We usually make a large batch on the weekend and the kids reheat them during the week for breakfast.  They have the appearance of a pancake (some GF I tried in the early phases were quite flat), they are light and fluffy and disappear quickly.  The waffles turn out great in our waffle maker.  Not only do they make a great breakfast but I put some in the freezer and reheat them at night, cover it with ice cream, whipped cream and chocolate chips.


We also make her recipe for Sour Cream Coffee Cake.  When I don't have time to make a blend and bake this is a fairly simple preparation and produces a light, fluffy cake with cinnamon goodness.  The glaze is not our style (very thin) and the cake is good all alone.  Occasionally we make up a cream cheese glaze or confectioners sugar glaze like you would have on a cinnamon roll.


As for muffins - not so good.  I like to try many recipes because sometimes I find something I like but this recipe was something we will not make again.

She offers other baking mixes: cakes, cookies, brownies and pizza crust.  My kids prefer my cookies and brownies, but her mixes are easy to use.

Definitely consider having some of this around.  Her website offers many recipe variations and you can always use it as a base for your own creations.

Get Cooking,

The Un-Gluten Guy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Mike's Pizza

Ghostfish Gluten Free Beer

San Diego Safari Park