Miami & South Beach

I had a meeting to go to in South Beach.  We had hoped to make it a long weekend getaway but could not find a baby sitter.  Instead I made a quick solo trip.  I brought food along (never know what is going to happen) but I found a few cool finds.

For starters I usually make a quinoa salad for the airplane.  It travels well and is packed with vegetables.
I made this one with red onion, tomatoes, yellow squash and peas.  I dressed it with a vinaigrette made with mustard, rice wine vinegar and olive oil.  Super easy vinaigrette 1 - 3 - 4.  1 tablespoon mustard, 3 tbsp vinegar and 4 tbsp oil and whisk well.



Once I arrived I got settled at the hotel.  I drove out to The Green Wave Cafe.  This is located in Plantation, Florida and only a short drive from South Beach.

They are a gluten free, organic, vegan restaurant.  I was told the owner was diagnsoed with cancer and went to an organic, vegan GF diet and this was the culmination of that.  Everything is made fresh in house and although I am not vegan it was all very good.  I was hungry after traveling so I started with the side salad that came with my burger.  It was served with a green onion dressing that was super good.

For dinner I had their signature dish - the cheese burger.  It was a vegan patty which was good, I do eat meat so I would not say it was as good as a burger but it was tasty.  The vegan cheese sauce was good and it was topped with tons of fresh vegetables.  The "bun" was great.  It was an onion flat bread.  I can only explain is as the thickness and consistency of a pita - but it tasted great.


I was still hungry so I ordered their sushi.  Tons of vegetables and served with pickled ginger, wasabi and GF tamari - of course.  Really tasty.


I got a salad and hummus sandwich to go for lunch the next day.  I wanted to try the tacos but I was too full.  If you happen to be in the area it is worth the trip.

I spent a little time fishing in Key Biscayne.  Unfortunately no caught fish but saw some cool sharks and rays.  The tarpon migration has not really happened.  Saw two bonefish and got one to chase my fly but he wasn't hungry and almost got a cow fish to take the fly but he was interested either.


Dinner time.  I was told by a friend that I had to go to this one restaurant - so I did.  Ola is located in the Sanctuary Hotel in South Beach.  I called and spoke with Albert, the manager, and he was helpful.  The bread they serve is GF and many items are gluten free or than can make a dish GF.  When I arrived I met him and he said that the kitchen was aware.  I can't remember the name of my server but she was very helpful, she knew the menu well and was able to direct me to what was GF.



I started with their bread.  It is made with Yuca flour which is tapioca flour.  I found out it was the third largest source of carbs for human food in the world.  They mix it with butter and queso fresco.  This was super good and I'm going to have to try to make it at home.


I came for the ceviche.  I started with the lobster ceviche.  It was served with lime juice, chili spiced cucumber, corn and tarragon.  It was topped with a watermelon sorbet, I believe, which cut the spice.  It was outstanding.


For my entree I had cuban pork.  This dish was the only GF mixup.  It was first brought to me with a fried pork skin as a topping/garnish.  I had to ask for the waitress because it was possible they fried it up separately but I wasn't going to take a chance.  It was a mistake and the dish was taken back to the kitchen and remade.  I did not mind the wait - when it arrived it was delicious.  It was served over a mash with vegetables and mustard.  The meat was cooked perfectly and the sauces were delicious.


For dessert I didn't have many options except for sorbet.  So I ordered more ceviche.  This time I had the Wahoo.  It is served with watermelon jalapeno juice with basil, diced cantaloupe, red onions and cucumber sorbet (I got the sorbet after all).  This was just a good as the lobster ceviche.


Early the next morning it was off to the airport and on my way home.  I had some GF oatmeal packets and got a coffee and hot water at the airport.  An apple, nuts and a kind bar got me home.

Just a few options for next time your in Miami,

The Un-Gluten Guy 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Mike's Pizza

Ghostfish Gluten Free Beer

San Diego Safari Park