Saltbox Revisited

So we had a night to go out to dinner and we choose to go back to Saltbox in the Gaslamp district of San Diego.  You can see my previous posts about the restaurant.

Well,  it was a great meal.  Our waitress Lygia took care of us again.  Nic, the manager, stopped by the table to make sure everything was okay.  And Niles, the chef, stopped by when we sat down to reassure me that the food would be okay.

The menu has been changed a bit since I was there last.  To let you know the Gluten content they have 3 symbols

GF - Food is Gluten Free
*GF - Dish can be prepared GF
TG - Dish contains trace Gluten

I had the brown butter and lemon popcorn to start while we looked at the menu.  It was something we had seen on the menu before - but never tried.  It was good, and the lemon added a neat flavor profile.

For my appetizer I had the lobster cobb salad.  This had nice pieces of lobster, crisp bacon, tomatoes with a mix of greens.  This was very tasty.

For dinner - I cleaned the plate.  I had the fish which was a seared seabass.  Over top was gastronomical powder of chorizo.  Also on the plate were slices of chorizo, a puree of fennel, confit potatotes, and some edible greens and flowers.

For dessert I had the pot de creme.  This was super delicious.  Bill Cosby and his jello are no match for this dessert.

For the star rating
Gluten Free Menu - one out of one stars
Waitstaff knowledge - one out of one star
Dishes served stating they are GF - 1/2 out of one star.  Chef brought out my entree personally but another runner brought out the salad with no mention of GF (I might be picky because it is listed on the menu as GF, but I think it is important - we checked with my waitress)
Food - 1 1/2 out of 2 stars.  The entree was a 2 star dish.  The salad and popcorn, although good, didn't have a wow factor.

Their total:  4 out of 5 stars.

Definitely visit Saltbox if you have not been there.  And if you have been there - go back soon.  Chef says they are working on the new summer menu.

The Un-Gluten Guy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Mike's Pizza

Ghostfish Gluten Free Beer

San Diego Safari Park