Eddie V's La Jolla

So, we went out with friends.  They had been to the restaurant and liked it.  This has been the new hot spot in La Jolla Dining.  Eddie V's is a chain with restaurants in Texas, Arizona and La Jolla.  The first restaurant opened in 2000 and they offer steak and seafood in a causal but fine dinning like experience.

My wife called and spoke with them before our visit and they informed her that they can accommodate gluten free requests.  What is strange is that every other location has a GF menu online; but, the La Jolla location does not offer a separate GF menu.  I was informed to talk to the server.  They lose a star there.    I hate being out with others and having to take the time to pick something, go thru all of the ingredients and they possibly have to re-look at the menu and find another item to then have questions about before I can actually place my order.

As far as our waiter goes,  he seemed to be aware of the menu and ingredients, although I choose simple items to eat.  For my starter I had a heirloom tomato and mozzarella cheese salad with evoo and balsamic.  This was a simple preparation but tasted fresh and light.

For dinner I had a salmon filet that was broiled with roasted heirloom potatoes.  It was topped with fresh sliced peppers and some micro greens.  Simple, tasty but the filet was small and probably a 1/4 of the size of the sole that my friend ordered.  She took half of hers home - I could have eaten another filet to fulfill my hunger.

When the food came to the table the runner made no mention of the food or allergens so they lose a 1/2 star there.

Overall the food was good.  I would give it 1 1/2 out of two.  My wife had the lobster soup which she thought was okay but she loved her lobster tacos.

For the star rating
GF Menu - no stars
Waitstaff knowledge - one out of one star
Dishes served stating they are GF - no stars
Food - 1 1/2 out of two

Total - 2 1/2 out of 5 stars

I think I would go back.  It would be nice if they adopted a GF menu like every one of their other locations, this would raise them to 3 1/2 stars.  If a patron has an allergy, any allergy, it is so important for the kitchen to relay that information to the runner so they can assure the patron that their food is allergen free.

The Un-Gluten Guy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Mike's Pizza

Ghostfish Gluten Free Beer

San Diego Safari Park