My New Special Sauce

I saw this chili sauce and found out that it is made from a few simple ingredients and it was naturally gluten free.  What is it, you may ask?  Lingham's Sauce.  It is a chili sauce made in Malaysia and it is made from chili, sugar, vinegar and salt.  I have used it on rice, vegetables and meats.

That's not so special you might think.  Well, that is not my special sauce - it is just one part.  For the rest of the sauce you need 3 more things.

Item number one - GF Unagi Sauce.  I have not been able to find a GF version so I make it myself.  This is the sweet, sticky sauce you get on Unagi (eel) at the sushi restaurant.  It goes great on rice by itself.

To make this you add equal parts (I usually do a 1/2 cup of each) of GF soy sauce, sugar and rice wine vinegar.  Simmer this over low heat until it starts to thicken.  Notice I said starts because if you are looking for the consistency you want on the stove it will be too thick - it will continue to thicken when you take it off the heat.

Item number two is sweet chili sauce.  We use the Trader Joe's brand.  This goes great on top of steamed broccoli.

Item number three is sesame oil.

So now you have the ingredient for the special sauce, this is what you do.

Mix together:
1/4 Cup Lingham's Chili Sauce
1/4 Cup GF Unagi Sauce
1/4 Cup Sweet Chili Sauce
1/4 tsp sesame oil

Now what do you do with it?  Anything.  Here are some of my favorites.


I marinade salmon in the sauce for a few hours, but the longer the better.  Cook it in the oven at 375 for 20 - 30 minutes depending on how big the filet is.  I served this with rice and bok choy that I saute with garlic and ginger with a drizzle of GF soy sauce.


Option two is grilled chicken.  Grill one side and when you flip it baste the top side.  I flip it one more time before I remove it from the grill to baste the second side and lightly char the sauce due to the sugar.  I served this with grilled asparagus that I finished with fresh lemon juice and salt.


Option three.  Toast some cashews (you could use peanuts). Pan fry some shrimp.  In a bowl combine the cashews, shrimp, carrots, daikon radish if you have it, scallions and the special sauce.  Top with toasted sesame seeds.

Hope you enjoy the sauce and these ideas,

The Un-Gluten Guy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Mike's Pizza

Ghostfish Gluten Free Beer

San Diego Safari Park