Roy's (update 2.16.12)

We used to go to Roy's as a treat for the family.  They do a great jobs with kids and their chocolate soufflé dessert is amazing.

I have not been real comfortable trusting restaurant kitchens so we have stayed away since I was diagnosed.  My wife spoke with the Manager, Brian, who gave her a GF menu and told her that any restaurant that is not offering GF food is behind the times - I totally agree.

If you look online you can find their GF menu for each location.  This is the winter menu from the restaurant near us.



One of things the kids like is the short ribs.  I found the recipe online and we make it at home.  It is not exactly like the restaurant version but still pretty good.  It is best a day or two after so I make it on the weekend and we eat it Monday or Tuesday for a easy weeknight meal.

Braised Ribs
Take 2 lbs of short ribs or equivalent meat, season with salt and pepper and brown all sides.  Add 1 chopped white onion, 1 chopped small carrot, 1 stalk celery and 5 cloves garlic and caramelize.  Add 2 Tbs. tomato paste on low (don't burn).  Add 1 cup red wine and reduce by half then add 4 cups beef stock, 4 sprigs fresh thyme and 1 sprig basil reduce heat to simmer and cook approximately 2 hours or until meat is tender.

Remove the meat, strain the liquid and discard the solids.  Keep the meat in the strained sauce in the fridge and reheat for dinner later in the week (again, its much better a day or two after sitting in the liquid).  I have alternatively cooked it in a slow cooker if you need to cook it while your out.

Roy's Chocolate Soufflé

You can find some of their recipes by the front, they put out dessert, entree and drink recipes.  I picked this up and we make it a lot.

In a bowl mix 1 Cup sugar and 3 Tbsp cornstarch.  Mix 4 eggs + 4 egg yolks in a separate bowl.  In a saucepan bring 12 Tbsp butter to a simmer, add 8 oz. semisweet dark chocolate and mix until smooth and chocolate begins to simmer along the edge.  Add chocolate mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until combined.  Add eggs and mix at low speed until smooth and sugar is dissolved.  Pour into a bowl and refrigerate overnight.

Pre-heat oven to 375.  They use metal rings lined with parchment paper, I make ours in ramekins that I butter on the bottom and line the bottom with a parchment paper round.  Fill 2/3rds with the stuff and bake 28-30 minutes.

I over cooked these in the beginning so it was a good chocolate cake.  If you take it out on time it will have a nice gooey chocolate filling when you cut into it.  I top it with powdered sugar and serve with vanilla ice cream.  This whole recipe usually makes about 6 servings.

I'll let you know how it goes when we visit but we'll try it soon.

The Un-Gluten Guy

Update 2/16/12

So we went.  I told you I would let you know.  It was great.  They offered the GF menu that you see above.  The Chef came out to the table to go over any other questions and I had a few.

Where did they get their polenta?  He wasn't sure.  So to not risk cross contamination I avoided it.

Not knowing how clean the sushi bar could be with all of the tempura waiting to cross contaminate my food I avoided it but they did have tamari sauce if I needed it.

I choose the shrimp appetizer.  He salt and peppered it and sauteed in a pan with butter.  On the side was the wasabi cocktail sauce.  Very simple and good - with just enough heat in the cocktail sauce.

For dinner I had the chicken.  I asked and the pinot reduction was only pinot without any additives.  The potatoes done with butter and cream.  The chicken was done perfectly.

For dessert I have the soufflé.  They omitted the cookie (obviously) and it was good as always.

So as for Roy's and their GF menu - One star

Knowledge - one star (I didn't get to really test the waiter but they fact that the chef came out tops the waitstaff)

Servers - presented my dishes as GF - one star

Food - good as always - one and a half stars

So a total of 4.5 out of 5

The Un-Gluten Guy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Mike's Pizza

Ghostfish Gluten Free Beer

San Diego Safari Park