Gluten Free Cereal

Cereal - the american kids breakfast in a bowl.  Aisles and aisles of sugary cereal with cartoons on the box waiting for kids to pick it up and ask mom "can I get it?"

I too, was brought up with cereal for breakfast.  My favorites from what I remember were Apple Jacks and Honeycombs.

Now I usually have some cheese, a hard boiled egg and some yogurt.  Occasionally I'll do cereal for breakfast on the run but I like it more as a sweet nighttime snack.

In an attempt to have some more food options I went looking and there are a lot of options out there.

First I found out that Chex has been reformulated to be Gluten Free.  So you have Rice Chex, Corn Chex, and Honey Nut Chex.  I sometimes pour all three in a bowl for a little mix of flavor and texture.  Obviously now you can make your own Chex mix with other GF ingredients.  (Stay away from the wheat and multibran they ARE NOT GF).


Snap, Crackle and Pop came out with a GF version too.  The box clearly states Rice Krispies Gluten Free and is made with Brown Rice.  Texture is a little different than the old fashioned kind but still good.

Now, I do miss Cherrios.  As an adult I came to love those little crunchy O's.  I found Nature Path Whole O's which are GF.  For me they were a bit like crunchy cardboard and lacked flavor.

But Nature Path does have a line called EnviroKidz which we have found to be a hit for me and the kids.

Gorilla Munch are little corn balls with a bit of sweetness.  The kids like them better than Kixx.  Our other top favorite is Koala Crisps - essentially cocco krispies.  We have tried their Leapin Lemurs (peanut butter and chocolate balls), Panda Puffs (peanut butter balls), and Amazon frosted flakes too.


With two rice options we have talked about making rice crispy treats with the chocolate Koala Crisps and the brown rice Rice Krispies.

I was never a fan but Fruity Pebbles and Cocca Pebbles are both Gluten Free.

In the meantime pour yourself a bowl and sit back and enjoy.

The Un-Gluten Guy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Mike's Pizza

Ghostfish Gluten Free Beer

San Diego Safari Park