So when we moved to San Diego we fell in love with having avocados and cilantro all year long. It found its way into everything and my son even calls avocado trees - guacamole trees. So we added it to breakfast and it became a weekend thing. We forgot about it for a while but have started making it again.
1/2 Red Onion Chopped
1/4 to 1/2 Cup Chopped Fresh Cilantro
The zest of 1 lime (or you can use lime pepper)
Cheese (sharp and asiago or a mexican blend)
1. Heat a pan and add about 1 Tbsp butter or oil and saute the red onion. Season with a bit of salt and cook until soft. I sometimes cook them a bit longer so they get a bit of crunch - it adds a nice contrast to the soft eggs.
2. Whisk the 6 eggs and pour over the onions. Continue to stir with a spatula. After they start to scramble, add the fresh cilantro and lime zest, and keep stirring.
3. Salt and pepper to taste. If you don't have a lime to zest you can find lime pepper and substitute that instead.
4. Add a bit of cheese (lactose free if needed) and stir into the eggs.
5. Serve and top with more cheese and/or fresh avocado.
6. Tapatio sauce or Tabasco Green Pepper Sauce goes well over top. You can serve the dish with fresh corn tortillas for a filling breakfast on the go. This morning I made a bit of potato hash.
The Un-Gluten Guy