[See below for my latest changes - dry rub and dutch oven cooking]
So we were up for some pulled pork. There used to be a BBQ place we visited, but too many cross contamination issues and they weren't really into trying to make changes.
Well, I don't have a smoker and don't have all day so this is what I put together.
3 - 5 lbs Pork Shoulder
1 really large white onion or 2 medium
2 cloves garlic
1 bottle GF Beer (I use New Planet)
1 bottle GF BBQ Sauce (We like Bone Suckin Sauce)
1 Tbsp Smoked Paprika
Salt and Pepper
1. Salt and pepper the pork shoulder and sear all sides. (Optional Dry Rub: I'll also add some smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and brown sugar and do this the night before if I have the time)
2. Chop the onion into 3 or 4 thick slices and mince the garlic.
3. Turn on the slow cooker. I add a bit of oil and throw in the garlic and onions.
4. Put seared pork shoulder on top of the onions.
5. Mix a bottle of GF Beer, a bottle of GF BBQ sauce and 1 TBSp of smoked paprika and another tsp of salt in a bowl then pour over the pork. You can leave a bit uncovered and just turn it frequently or add some water to cover the meat.
6. Cover and cook in the slow cooker. The more hours the better, until it is falling apart.
7. Fork apart the meat and serve with your favorite GF bread. We use Udi's hamburger rolls.
The Un-Gluten Guy
Lately, I have been making a rub with Spicely Onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, smoked paprika and salt and rubbing it down the night before. Sear the meat in a large dutch oven. Add the beer to deglaze the pan (I use New Planets' Off Grid) add some BBQ (we use Bone Suckin Sauce) and then layer the bottom with thickly sliced onions and garlic. Lay the meat on top and cover with the lid of the dutch oven. Cook at 350 for about an hour then lower the temperature to 250 for 10-12 hours and it will fall off the bone. You can uncover it at the end for a bit under the broiler to get some nice crispy edges.