Gluten Free Thanksgiving 2012

I find the most important thing is having a plan and cooking whatever you can ahead of time.  Everyone knows that come Turkey Day there is never enough room in the oven or on the stove.


Sunday
I made my ice cream.  Cinnamon ice cream consisted of 1 Cup of sugar with 1 1/2 Cups Half and half heated over the stove until it bubbles on the edges.  Pour it into a bowl with two mixed eggs and mix together then back to the stove and add 1 Cup Heavy Cream, 2 tsp cinnamon and 1 tsp vanilla extract.  Continue to stir until it has a slightly thickened consistency.  Cool overnight in the refrigerator.



Kids also wanted mint chocolate chip ice cream (I usually would do vanilla).  This is a Philadelphia Style ice cream (therefore no eggs or cooking).  2 Cups 2% milk and 2 Cups Heavy cream, 1 cup sugar, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp vanilla extract and 1 tsp peppermint extract.  Mix and through into ice cream maker.  When ready pour into a container, mix in 1 Cup mini chocolate chips and freeze.

Made my gluten free turkey brine.  This year I used 1 gallon vegtable broth, 1 Cup salt, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1 Tbsp black peppercorns, 1 tsp thyme, 1 tsp sage, 5 bay leaves and bring to boil.  Then add 1 gallon cold water and 1/2 cup apple cider and place into refrigerator.

Bought a bag of cranberries (I'll make that wednesday),  and two loaves of Udis bread for the stuffing (not baking bread this year).

Monday
Finished the cinnamon ice cream but placing in ice cream maker then into a container and into the refrigerator.

Tuesday
Picked up our turkey and other groceries (potatoes, onions, leaks, herbs, etc)

Wendsday
Put the turkey in the brine.

Made my cranberry sauce.  Heat 1/2 cup water with 1/2 cup OJ and 1/2 cup of sugar and one 12 ounce package of cranberries and heat until they all pop.  I then mash them so there are only a few large pieces remaining.  Place in a jar and into the refriderator.


I cut up two loaves of Udi's bread and slow cooked it in the oven at 200 degrees to dry them out.


Thursday

Made cornbread.  I was baking and cooking enough so I leaned on Bob.  Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free cornbread saved me some time.



Gluten Free Stuffing.  We were going to try Whole Food GF Stuffing and I made my own.  For the Whole foods I simply added some cooked onions and celery, butter and broth and it went on one side of my baking dish.

For my homemade Gluten Free Stuffing I cut up two loaves of Udi's bread.  I cooked a package of chopped pancetta until crisp and removed the pancetta.  In the oil I cooked leaks, onions, celery until it softened.  Add 12 tablespoons of butter then add finely chopped thyme, rosemary and sage.  Pour this mixture over the breadcrumbs and add enough chicken broth until the bread was moist.  Then add in the pancetta and some cubed roasted butternut squash (I roasted it on Wedsnday).  Let it sit about 20 minutes then add it to a well buttered baking dish.  Into the oven at 350 degrees covered with foil for 30 minutes then remove the foil to brown the top.


The Turkey was removed from the brine and dry it.  I stuffed it with apples, onions, sage and thyme.  Butter it well and season with salt, pepper and paprika.  Into the oven at 400 degrees for 30 minutes to crisp the skin then cover with foil and drop the temperature to 325.  Cook 15 minutes per pound until the inside temperature is 160 degrees.  Remove and let rest about twenty minutes then carve.


Well, after a lot of cooking I am full and looking forward to leftover turkey sandwiches and turkey vegetable soup. Wishing you and yours a happy and healthy holiday,

The Un-Gluten Guy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Mike's Pizza

Ghostfish Gluten Free Beer

San Diego Safari Park