GFAF Expo 2015 San Diego

Well, its over but it was fun.  This was definitely the best expo that I have been to and there was lots to see and try.  The folks at GFAF Expo describe themselves as the largest Gluten Free and Allergen Free Expo in the US and I agree.

While I was there I met Angela aka the celiac hash girl.  She has a cool blog (celiachashigirl.com) that you should check out.

Massel's had a nice booth front and center.  They make gluten free bouillon.  It comes in cubes, a condensed liquid and a granule form.  Not only is it GF but its vegan.  They have vegetable, chicken and beef flavors.  I made Vietnamese Pho with the beef and you would never know that its vegan.  Great to travel with if you cook when you travel - no more searching for GF broths.


Udi's was also up front.  Serving up their snacks and bread.  There stuff is always great and you can always find their bread in my freezer.

One of our new finds was Smart Flour.  They make pizza with an ancient grain crust.  This was super good and the biggest hit with my son.  He has probably had 3 of these in the past week.  We found them at our local Whole Foods.


Do you need dessert?  How about GF and lactose free and delicious.  Try Arctic Zero.  We had the orange and it tasted like a creamsicle.


Have you ever had Pao de queijo?  Its a Brazilian cheese bread that is made with tapioca starch.  Its delicious.  My favorite Brazi Bites was there.  I had a chance to try their new garlic asiago and it was delicious.

There is a new player too P*DE*Q - very good.  I tried their original, they also have jalapeño, carrot raisin, chocolate and bacon.


How about crunchy chips?  Our favorite chip was there - Way Better Snacks.  They had two new flavors - Mustard and Onion which is awesome and Sirracha which was very good.


Plentils was there to and had a Margherita pizza flavor that was a hit.


Their parent company Enjoy Life Foods was there with snack bars, cookies and their delicious chocolate chips (these wind up in our ice cream and pancakes).


The only booth I had an issue with was Mahatma Rice.  Yes, I know rice is GF.  They were handing out samples and the sample bag had no mention of allergens or facility information.  So I asked "Does Mahatma produce any gluten containing products?"  The response was a confused look and an "I don't know."  I pulled out my phone and looked and found their allergy page.  Five of their rice mixes contain wheat.  I asked "Are the mixes and rice produced on the same line or in the same factory?"  Again, they had no idea.

Aside from one booth the rest were great.  Redbridge beer and Omission was there (although I won't try the gluten reduced beers).

My daughters top pic - Maninis Pasta.  This is an ancient grain pasta is a fresh pasta so it cooks up quick.  I'm guessing it was Mama Maninis that was at the booth.  She had flown down from Washington and was cooking up the spaghetti toped with olive oil and it was delicious.  Everyone standing in line raved about how good it was.  We will have to find their products to fill our refriderator.

Can't wait until next year.

See you at the Expo,

The Un-Gluten Guy

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Mike's Pizza

Ghostfish Gluten Free Beer

San Diego Safari Park