Corvalis, Oregon

I set up a trip to go fly fishing for steelhead with John Larison.  He is based out of Corvalis which just happens to have a dedicated Gluten Free Restaurant.

Like always, I packed some food.  I made some of my chocolate chip cookies and put two in three containers (a little snack for each day).  My wife made a fresh coffee cake with Pamela's Baking and Pancake mix (a nice sweet treat each morning for breakfast).  I brought some Kind Bars and some almonds that I baked with rosemary and salt.  I also put some gluten free Rice Krispies in a few bowls for breakfast.


When I arrived in Portland I drove to Corvalis.  I stopped at Market of Choice.  This is a great supermarket.  They had lots of fresh produce, a ton of GF options and beer - lots and lots of 22 oz beer.  Unfortunately, I was only able to have a few of them but they had what I was looking for.  I picked up a few Harvester Brewing IPA's and tried their Experiment Ale (they also had Epic Brewing Glutenator which I have only seen in Utah).  I grabbed some yogurt, bananas, milk and some Kettle Chips.



For dinner I stopped in at Eats & Treats Cafe.  This place is an oasis in central Oregon - a dedicated GF restaurant and bakery.  The McHenry family put the restaurant together and you truly get a family feel when you walk in.  For coming in they offer each new customer a homemade chocolate cookie - and yes, I ate my dessert before dinner.  For dinner on Thursday I had their chicken tortilla soup.  The soup was out of this world, just the right consistency - not too thin or too thick.  It had great depth and a bit of spice.  For dinner I had their pulled pork sandwich on a homemade poppy seed bun.  The bun was super good and the pork had some good smoke and spice - I devoured it.  I took a BLT sandwich to go for lunch the next day.

Breakfast each morning consisted of yogurt and cereal at my hotel since we left before any of the restaurants opened - 4:30 a.m.  I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Corvalis which was nice because each room had a refrigerator and microwave.

On friday I stopped in at Eats & Treats again.  Friday was tri-tip night as the smoker was parked out front.  Super good and smokey and moist.  I ordered a poppy seed roll to go and made a tuna sandwich I had the next day for lunch on the river.

Saturday I had their chicken curry salad with apples and grapes.  This was a large salad with lots and lots of chicken.  I was really diggin their curry sauce.  I took a piece of lasagna to go for lunch on Sunday.  I ate the lasagna cold on the river and it was super good.  The pasta had great texture and just the right amounts of sauce, cheese and meat.



What about the fish?  Although I caught some half pounders, smolts and cuts I wasn't able to land a steelhead.  They say steelhead are a fish of a thousand casts - I think I'm at 900.

I'll be back next year and I'll be sure to eat at Eats & Treats.  If you visit Corvalis or are driving through make sure to stop in - you'll be happy.

The Un-Gluten Guy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Mike's Pizza

Ghostfish Gluten Free Beer

San Diego Safari Park