Chocolate Chip Cookies

So i've been on this chocolate chip cookie binge.

If you look back to my cookie post on November 20, 2011 you'll see that I made Thomas Keller's GF Chocolate Chip Cookies.  They were a bit pricey, tasted good, but flat and crunchy.

I also made Bob's Redmill Chocolate Chip Cookies and didn't care for the flavor.

So it was back to the drawing board for something I can make at home, from scratch, that tastes good.

I took the Tollhouse recipe right off the back of the package and made it substituting my own GF flour mixture.  It was okay.  I think tweaking the combination of flours can make it better but there are a lot of combinations.  Well, off to try some others.

Enter Alton Browns Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe

Here are the ingredients.  I find cooking so much easier when you take the time to get everything ready before you start.

How were they?  They were a hit.  The kids liked them; I took them to work and everyone enjoyed them.  They have a tiny bit of a grittiness to them, but it is very mild (the difficulties with GF baking).  Taste-wise they are delicious and retain their chewy texture even after a few days.

Next I tried a recipe from a new book: Elisabeth Hasselbecks' Deliciously G-Free.  She uses millet flour for a lot of her recipes and for the cookies she has a blend of brown rice flour, potato flour, tapioca starch and millet flour.  Easy to make and then into the oven.


These were good - chewy, tasty, a tiny grittiness (just like Alton Brown's) but really good.  I tried one and then wolfed down two more.

I found one more on the blog "Adventures of a GF Mom".  She says this recipe is just like the tollhouse recipe.  Its made with rice flour, tapioca flour and sorghum flour.  You can find it here.

The first batch didn't really flatten out so I pressed down the second batch (the top cookie), you can see the difference.  Taste-wise they were really close to the original tollhouse cookies.  I didn't taste the grittiness that I noticed in the other recipes.  My daughter loved them.

So the winner?  Third place goes to Deliciously G-Free.  Second place to Alton Brown and first place to Tollhouse GF.  I may play with these three and come up with a new combination.  If its any good I'll let you know.

In the meantime pour yourself a tall glass of milk and enjoy a cookie.

The Un-Gluten Guy

Comments

  1. I too was on a GF chocolate chip baking spree this month. I like to try all the flours that my store gets. One recipe I always go back to is the GF chocolate chip recipe from Elana's Pantry - http://www.elanaspantry.com/dairy-free-gluten-free-chocolate-chip-cookies/

    SO. GOOD. Best part is that all the ingredients can be found at trader joe's (get the TJ's almond meal). i've swapped out the oil for melted saltfree butter and it makes a fluffy cookie.

    Happy baking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely try it. We have her cookbook but haven't tried her chocolate chip cookies. The battle continues - it could be a contender.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Mike's Pizza

San Diego Safari Park

Sake