New GF Book

So I received a copy of Elisabeth Hasselbecks' book Deliciously G-Free.  She must have been on a promo tour because my wife, mom and other women have commented to me about it.  She is on The View and is married to quarterback Tim Hasselbeck.


The book starts with a little history of her family and the cooking that went on within the family up to her diagnosis and the fight to re-do family recipes.  She has chapters on breakfast, appetizers, entrees and desserts.

I tried the Swedish Meatballs.  These are made with onions, pork, turkey and seasonings.  The dipping sauce is orange marmalade and beef broth.  They were easy to make and cook.  I liked them.  They would make a simple appetizer.  I would probably substitute ground chuck or veal for the turkey because even with dark turkey meat they were a bit dry.


Next, onto pot-stickers.  I admit I miss dumplings, pot stickers, gyoza, wantons so I was pretty excited about this one.  The dough calls for tapioca starch, potato starch, cornstarch, salt and xanthan gum.  You are then supposed to add two eggs and two egg yolks.  Well, I couldn't get the dough to work.  I tried working in a little water, I tried rolling it out between parchment paper but nothing worked.  I would try it again but I'll use 3 eggs plus a yolk or 4 eggs.  Even when I got it rolled thin it would break when I tried to fold it.


Onto an entree.  I tried her pulled pork.  I have made this many ways over the years many different ways but I thought I would try hers for an easy dinner.  Onions, garlic, adobo sauce, brown sugar and BBQ sauce.  Served on my favorite Udi's hamburger buns.  This was good.

Can't forget about dessert.  You'll hear about this in my battle of the chocolate chip cookie post too.  Her recipe calls for brown rice flour, potato flour, tapioca starch and millet flour.  What is millet flour?  It turns out it has a good deal of thiamine, iron and fiber.  It was a bit hard to find but I discovered it at Whole Foods.  These turned out good, tasty and chewy.  The kids liked them too.


She has some other recipes that look good too.  I was to try the sweet and sour chicken and the banana bread (with millet flour).  I also want to try her brownie recipe since I have been having a battle with different brownie mixes and recipes.  Hers calls for black bean flour which I could not find in San Diego so I ordered it and I'm waiting for it to come in.

Overall, it seems to have some good recipes and probably worth adding it to your stack of GF cookbooks.

The Un-Gluten Guy


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Mike's Pizza

Ghostfish Gluten Free Beer

San Diego Safari Park