Gluten Free Cookies

Is it just me or is all of the Gluten Free craze about sweets - cookies, brownies, cakes and muffins.  Me, I miss scones, cranberry walnut scones to be exact.  That is my next project is trying to recreate that in a GF form.

Cookies are the other big one.  We have tried many but the house hold standard has been Nestle Tollhouse right off the back of the bag.

So we went big and started with Thomas Keller's Gluten free Bouchon cookies.
You can find them at Williams Sonoma.  They do taste good but they are flat and crunchy.  If that is how you like your cookies you will be happy.  If you like chewy and soft it will disappoint.  The flavor is great though - as you would expect.  I am going to retry them and turn down the oven temp and cook for a few minutes less.  We tried a batch in the fridge before baking but they still came out flat and crunchy.  I don't mind crunchy and the taste did have you thinking you were eating a GF product.

They also passed the kid test.  They did not last more than a few days in the house.

Next up - Bob's Red Mill.  Now, I have used a lot of their products and I have been happy with them.  So I picked up the Gluten Free Chocolate Cookie Mix.
Easy to make and this is how they turned out.  Soft and chewy.  Unfortunately, the taste left something to be desired.  I am not sure what caused the flavor twist but I personally didn't care for it.  And they failed the kid test - after a week of sitting on the counter I emptied them in the trash.

Next test.  I am going to try the Tollhouse recipe but substitute in GF flour.  This might take a bit and that means lots of taste testing.  I guess that is one way I can put some weight back on.

The Un-Gluten Guy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Mike's Pizza

Sake

San Diego Safari Park