Pizza Night

I mentioned it before, so here it is.  Sunday used to be homemade pizza night.  We would make the dough and sauce in the morning and cook it up for dinner on the grill with a pizza stone.  It tastes great, works for leftovers and is fun for the kids to help out.

Now I get diagnosed with celiac disease.  Well I tried a few mixes and they just didn't cut it.  I starting using Thomas Keller's Cup 4 Cup and that has worked.  Although it is gluten free it is not dairy free, but luckily I don't have any dairy issues.

Here is the recipe I use.  If you are able to eat anything use regular flour but if you have celiac or a gluten sensitivity replace with your own mix or some other GF flour.

1.  1/4 Cup warm water in a bowl and a packet of yeast (make sure it activates)
2.  Add 1 1/2 Cups flour, 1/2 cup water, 1 tsp salt, 3 TBSP EVOO and mix
3.  Knead it on a board with some extra flour.
4.  I usually split it into two doughs and place in bowls, cover with dish towel and let rise a few hours.

Here are a few slices from this weekend.  The kids ate the rest.

With regular flour I could throw it real thin.  With GF flour I roll it out with a rolling pin.  You need to have some corn meal or corn grits (make sure it is GF) and pull the rolled out dough onto a pizza spatula.  Then add toppings.  I cook my pizza on a pizza stone on the grill and get it up to 550 or 600 degrees.  At that temp it doesn't take long to cook but crisps the dough nicely.

For sauce I use San Marzano crush tomatoes.  I puree two garlic cloves in a blender, pour in the can of tomatoes and add dried oregano, salt and sugar (yes, sugar) to taste.

The pies I have made
1.  plain (sauce and cheese)
2.  pepperoni
3.  our red and green pizza which is drops of red sauce, drops of pesto, broccoli, and tomatoes
4.  bbq sauce with shrimp or chicken, gouda cheese, cilantro and red onion
5.  caramelized onions, thinly sliced filet, gouda and mozerella, garlic and olive oil

Enjoy,

The UnGluten Guy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Mike's Pizza

Sake

San Diego Safari Park